Prince Motor Company

Tech stuff for Prince Vehicles
pandasport

Re: Prince Motor Company

Postby pandasport » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:39 pm

the car i'm looking at is the same as this with identical front etc but it doesn't have the chrome at knee height running along the doors everything else is the same... thoughts?? value rarity etc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dirtyleppa
Area Reps
aka: leppa

Postby dirtyleppa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:44 pm

im not too clued up with the prince side of stuff, but i would hazard a guess that there anr not very many left around, let alone in semi decent order.

if i was you, i would snap up the one you may be able to get and just clean it up and restore it to its former glory. even if its not worth much now, it can only get better with age. and it will be something different on the road
SeEn-ThE_lIgHt wrote:I dunno, always seem to be fiddling with it

1984 Nissan C31 Laurel
1984 Datsun 910 Bluebird

nzmax
aka: Steve

Postby nzmax » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:52 pm

Just a bit of history....The Gloria name was used on all Japanese domestic and export cars untill 1966. From then on they were called B200 for the export market and still called Gloria on the Japanese market. The Skyline was known as the A200 for exported cars. When the A30 series Nissan Gloria was released in April 1967 the name reverted back to Gloria for both Japanese and export markets.

There arent too many left around now days. Between my father and I we have three, one good one, an average one and a not so good one thats a parts car for the other two. It is still possible to find one sitting out somewhere that you could get as a parts car. There is not too much that can go wrong with them except rust. For motor parts there is no point going anywhere Nissan, as nothing is available anymore, although if you are willing to spend time at engine parts suppliers, you can usually find something that will fit like rings, etc. Other things like steering balls joints are actually adjustable to take up any play, but if too worn can be reconditioned, which again is just time with the car off the road.

Dont expect them to be grunty. They are only a 2000cc six towing round 1300kg of body with a full chassis front to rear. The engines are very low revving and I can assure you that an old Mini 850 will drag you off at the lights. Although saying that, when you finally reach 100kph it will sit there all day with lounge suite comfort. In their day, a lot were repowered with Holden and Vauxhall 3.3 engines. Saw one years ago that was repowered with an L26 Datsun engine. Transmissions are 3spd with an overdrive 4th

The side "belt line" stripe was only on the Deluxe cars, which we didnt get in NZ, although the NZ assembled ones had a mixture of deluxe and non-deluxe bits on them like the rear bumper overriders, chrome window surrounds on the doors, full hubcaps, ribbed panels under tail lights etc. The name change to B200 for the export models coincided with an update to the range. A lot of small changes were made, some cosmetic, some mechanical. Bodies remained the same. 95% of parts are the same on both Gloria and B200. Both were assembled in 1965, 1966 and 1967 at Steel Brothers Motor Assembly (Company known as Steelbro today) plant in Buchanans Rd, Christchurch. There were some Japanese assembled cars bought in during 1964 before assembly began here. There were approx 2000 sold when new. Croydon Motors in Christchurch were the NZ distributors, with a Prince dealer in most towns. When new they cost approx $3200, which made them $100 more expensive than a Mk3 Ford Zodiac Automatic.
Current: 1962 Prince Skyline Deluxe, 1985 C32 Nissan Laurel 2.4GL 5spd.

Previous: 1965 Prince Gloria 6, 1985 C32 Nissan Laurel 3.0SGX V6 Hardtop, 1982 C31 Datsun Laurel 2.4 Hardtop, 1982 910 Datsun Bluebird 2.0, 1979 810 Datsun 180B.

R30 Guru
Regular
aka: Jordy

Postby R30 Guru » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi Nzmax, this maybe slightly of topic but I was wondering if you could tell me how many A30 Gloria's were manufactured and sold in New Zealand at all? as I have just purchase 1 as a project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Projects Under Development
83 HR30 GT L31ETT
82 HR30 GT VH45DET
67 A30 GLORIA 4DR SEDAN-Resto

http://www.jurassicautomotive.com/
http://www.facebook.com/JurassicAutomotive

Flauski
Financial Member

Postby Flauski » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:56 pm

OOOOHHHHH, please put up a build thread 8-)

Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Postby Dattochriswagon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Ahh i remember the auction for this Gloria. Its sooo sweet.
Good luck with the project.
Keen on build thread or pics of all your projects. they sound pretty intense

nzmax

Postby nzmax » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:22 pm

R30 Guru wrote:Hi Nzmax, this maybe slightly of topic but I was wondering if you could tell me how many A30 Gloria's were manufactured and sold in New Zealand at all? as I have just purchase 1 as a project.

Im not sure how many of the A30 Glorias were sold here, but im guessing there was a similar number to the Prince versions, which numbered around 1500. My parents had a 1965 Prince Gloria in 1970, and dad remembers seeing Nissan Glorias on the road as often as the Prince versions. He was thinking of selling the Prince to get a Nissan Gloria, but ended up buying a 1963 Pontiac instead in 1974, which they still have. Guess the styling between the Pontiac and Nissan with the stacked headlamps was very similar..lol.

would like to see some pics of it

Previous: 1965 Prince Gloria 6, 1985 C32 Nissan Laurel 3.0SGX V6 Hardtop, 1982 C31 Datsun Laurel 2.4 Hardtop, 1982 910 Datsun Bluebird 2.0, 1979 810 Datsun 180B.

Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Postby Dattochriswagon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Your quite right about the Pontiac and Gloria stacked headlight ressembalance.
Its the first thing i thought of when i seen a Gloria

nzmax

Postby nzmax » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:54 am

Im guessing the Prince designers copied the Pontiac stacked headlights when they were designing the A30 Gloria series which was released in Japan in April 1967. If Nissan and Prince hadnt of merged, the A30 would have been an S6 series Prince Gloria, as Prince would have had it pretty much in the production stage by the time the merger actually happened in August 1966. Im not sure how much influence, if any, Nissan would have had in the design as the merger would have been in the planning stages for quite a while before it happened also. The Prince Gloria we got here in 1965/66 was the S4 series, with the S5 series prefix being used for the Skyline range.

Here in NZ, the A30 series Nissan Gloria was still sold through the existing network of Prince Dealers, with Croydon Motors still being the NZ importers/distributors, and not Nissan, as Prince Motors Division as it was known after the merger, was still an independant entity within Nissan. Ive seen adverts showing the A30 Gloria and the Datsun Bluebird 410 in the same advert, so Nissan NZ and Croydon Motors must have worked together for advertising purposes etc. Im pretty sure that the Prince Motors Division still exists, if only on paper.

Les

Postby Les » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Hi
Croydon Motors are mention above as the Prince agents in NZ. I attach a photo of a truck and trailer load of Prince Gloria CDK for assembly in Sockburn.
Les

Return to “Prince Tech”