A15 side draft manifold

all your DIY needs
82m
Regular

A15 side draft manifold

Postby 82m » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:30 am

Hey guys, I am about to take my head off to drill and tap the hole into the head between the intake ports on my a15. For my twin side draft manifold. I was wondering if I need to make a blanking plate for the coolant holes which are underneath the ports? Or is the manifold enough to block those off?

Also just wondering where you guys get the vacuum for the brake booster? Do I have to tap a fitting into my new manifold?

Cheers

classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: A15 side draft manifold

Postby classicdat » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Yes you will need to blank the coolant ports, I threaded a pan head screw in to them that fitted into the gasket and sealed it in.
I once had a manifold with 4 nipples one threaded into each runner, with tubes into a collector that fed the Booster and Vacuum Advance on the distributor. I think this was over kill but may have been used for balancing the carbs. Probably just one big fitting in one runner would do as good a job but not the vacuum advance
Datsuns from A to Zed

82m
Regular

Postby 82m » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks for the fast and informative reply. I think I will do the same as you to block off the coolant holes. but I will have to locktite some grub screws in there for clearance.

For the vacuum hose, do you think it would work if I tapped a hole into each runner and ran some 1/4" (ish) hose between some tee pieces inline?

gman
Financial Member
aka: gman

Postby gman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:55 pm

82m wrote:Thanks for the fast and informative reply. I think I will do the same as you to block off the coolant holes. but I will have to locktite some grub screws in there for clearance.

For the vacuum hose, do you think it would work if I tapped a hole into each runner and ran some 1/4" (ish) hose between some tee pieces inline?
Iif you tap into all four runners the pipes want to be the same length and go into one collector . IF you just tap into one runner you will get pumping which can fell funny under hard braking .

Return to “Tech & DIY Conversion Info”