James Z31 Revival

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
broke
Committee Members
aka: John

Re: James Z31 Revival

Postby broke » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:34 am

It must be like a whole different car now, I hope it still doses hard!

85_Z31
Committee Members

Postby 85_Z31 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:27 pm

The old Z has been going pretty well lately, drove it to work almost every day in December untill i got a cracked manifold.

so while its apart I'm fully re routing and re clipping the wiring loom, nice narva P clips with rivnuts and this is going to be covered in the same Fire Sleeve that i Put over my brake lines.

Wiring Tidy ups.JPG

Another Job i wanted to do for ages was to remove the giant Loop from the oil cooler, these used to be straight fittings looping back towards the fire wall - i was able to remove a good 600mm of oil line
V2.0 Oil Cooler lines much tidier.JPG

Added a V Band to the downpipe , now its super easy to remove and no more gaskets.

V Bands.JPG

DJ helped me out with some Bead Blasting - this is a turbine housing Before and After

Turbine Housing Before and after.JPG

Cleaned up Parts.JPG

My Oil oil drain cracked from too much heat, so ive remade it in stainless braid - this meant remvoing the sump to weld a fitting on.

Braided Oil Drain.JPG

NEKMINUT

Umm - so i was just welding on the AN drain fitting then this happened..........

Sump Cad Models.JPG

Sump Extension Template.JPG

Cutting up Sump.JPG

I always hated how cluttered Z31's are near the back of the motor - good thing i looked because my old battery cables were in very poor shape - i took the advice given to go with 35mm2 welding cable much beefier than the OEM stuff- also clipped up nice with Narva Rubber clips

New Battery Cable.JPG

part of the issue with the manifold cracking was no bracing , so again with DJ's advice and help i whipped up this rod end brace , the idea here is it holds the parts very solid while allowing movement for thermal expansion

Flexible Manifold Brace.JPG

its going to be close getting the engine out in the garage - if i fail its no big deal i will just roll it outside.

Getting Ready to pull engine.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30

85_Z31
Committee Members

Postby 85_Z31 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:23 am

Bit more done last night

Engine out of the hole

Engine Bay.JPG

I Got a test cut for my sump extension done in some 0.5mm galv , this was so its easy to bend and work with but a bit more durable than cardboard for all the test fits ect.

Hopefully on Saturday i can remove the tape - get some tacs on there and check it in the hole with a parts car engine block.

Sump Test Fit.JPG

Sump Test 2.JPG

Sump Test 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30

Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Postby Datto_610 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:29 am

Looking good James!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
1977 610 180B CA turbo conversion
1981 C31 Laurel

For all NZ Datsun club clothing orders PM me Here

Return to “Members Rides & Projects”